Friday, April 17, 2015

Ruth's Chile Relleno Casserole



I received this postcard through Postcrossing from a retired USPS worker from Fort Worth, Texas, which I consider my hometown seeing as my mother is in North Richland Hills and my mother-in-law is in Keller! I was so excited to receive it. The recipe was an instant favorite. I love ground beef and green chiles, particularly Hatch chiles or poblano and they are even better if you roast them yourself.

With my food allergies, my substitutions on the recipe were lactose free cheese (cheddar or Monterrey Jack are my favorites), unsweetened cashew milk, and glutinous rice flour (it's gluten-free and you can find it in Asian markets for $1 or less per pound/16 oz.). I also recommend grass-fed ground beef and local eggs, they make a world of difference in flavor.

To make the dish even heartier, I would suggest making a brown rice crust with 2-3 cups cooked brown rice, 1 egg, and 1/8 cup of shredded cheese, all mixed together then layered first in the baking dish, then top with recipe as written.

The back of the postcard states the recipe is from the Means Ranch, Valentine, Texas, from the book A Taste of Texas Ranching: Cooks & Cowboys by Tom Bryant and Joel Bernstein and printed aka copyright Texas Tech University Press 1996.

Click on the photo for a larger and clearer view of the recipe.

Bon appetit and Happy Postcrossing!

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment